Effective Date: February 19, 2018
Information Collected Automatically
Each time you visit the Sites, we may automatically collect certain types of information. Some examples of automatic information we may collect are as follows:
- We may record your internet service provider's address, your internet protocol or IP address, your operating system, the web page from which you came, your web browser software, the type of handheld or mobile device used to link to the web page, and the language and time zone settings on your web browser;
- We may collect a record of your activity or your "clickstream" while visiting the Sites;
- We may use "cookies" of different types to recognize your computer. A cookie is a small text file that a website, online application, or e-mail may save to your internet browser and/or your computer's hard drive for use in subsequent visits to the Sites or other sites;
- We may use web beacons, match scripts, pixel tags or similar technologies that allow us to know if a particular web page was visited, an e-mail opened, links in the email utilized or if the advertisements on the Sites or other sites were effective. In some instances, these technologies may allow us to match activities with particular users;
- Our mobile applications also may collect geo-location information, including from the GPS function on your mobile device. We may use this information in a variety of ways, including to determine which of our stores may be closest to you, whether you are within the allowed geographical ordering range of one of our stores, and to offer products and services to you. You can opt-out of sharing your geo-location information by changing the settings on your mobile device. If you choose to opt-out, it may disable certain features of our mobile applications; and
- We may collect any information you enter, share or that can be obtained from your use of our apps, games, contests, or promotions.
Information You Give to Us
We may collect any information, such as your first and last name, credit card number, email address, postal address, and telephone number that you provide when you interact with Wawa. Some examples are when you:
- Make an online or in-store purchase;
- Correspond or communicate with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise;
- Register or create an account on the Sites;
- Participate in an a contest, sweepstakes or an online survey;
- Use our mobile apps to buy goods using a Wawa gift card;
- Sign up for our rewards program or other program or club; or
- Sign up for email and/or SMS news and alerts
Information you provide at Wawa retail stores may be combined with information that you provide online at the Sites, as well as with information about your interests and purchases we collect automatically. The information you provide to Wawa may also be combined with demographic and other information that is available from other sources in order to allow Wawa to better communicate with you and enhance our customer service and your shopping experience.
Do Not Track
Do Not Track (DNT) is a privacy preference that users can set in some web browsers, allowing users to opt out of tracking by websites and online services. At the present time, the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) has not yet established universal standards for recognizable DNT signals and therefore, Wawa and the Sites do not recognize DNT.
We may use information about you for purposes described in this Policy or disclosed to you on the Sites. For example, we may use information about you to:
- Send you updates on the latest Wawa news, including information about new products, services, and offers that may be of interest to you including co-branded offers and affiliate and partner offers.
- Process and manage your purchase and use of Wawa products and services, including your accounts and program participation.
- Respond to your customer service inquiries, post your comments or statements on any blog or other online forum maintained on our website and other websites, or take other actions in response to your inquiries or other website activities.
- Create personalized promotions by combining your personal information with non-personal information about you, such as the amounts and types of purchases you make or any benefits you receive through our programs.
- Communicate with you about your orders or purchases, your services, accounts and program participation, a contest or sweepstakes you have entered, product recalls that may affect you, and your requests for information.
- Learn more about our customers so that we can develop better products and services.
We participate in interest-based advertising and we or others may use information about you to deliver to you or allow you to see certain advertising based on your interests, searches you perform, information you provide, or your activity on the Sites or other websites.
Wawa may also use this information to analyze and manage its businesses. Aggregate or combined data is collected from online and offline facilities and may be used to enhance the ability of Wawa to communicate with you and to support business functions such as internal business processes, marketing, authentication, customer service, fraud prevention, and public safety and legal functions.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services, comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
If you provide us with your email or postal address, or have done so in the past, we will ask you if we can use it to send you updates on the latest Wawa news. If you do not want us to contact you, you can choose to "opt out," and Wawa will respect your wishes.
If you opt out of receiving promotional communications from us whether online or on your mobile device, we may still send you non-promotional communications such as emails about your Wawa account, if you have one, or our ongoing business relations.
Sharing Your Personal Information
With Third Parties
Wawa may share your personal information with third parties, including as set forth below.
With Other Parts of our Business and our Business Partners
With our Service Providers
Wawa may share your personal information with companies that provide support services to us. Some examples of things service providers may do that may involve your personal information are:
- Authorization of credit card and check transactions, order fulfillment, sweepstakes and contests, our rewards program, and cobranded or joint product and service promotions.
- Developing, hosting or maintaining the Sites on behalf of Wawa.
- Warehousing product, personalizing product and performing order fulfillment and shipping services on behalf of Wawa or on your behalf and at your request.
- Aggregating customer information and/or improving customer service. We may then share such aggregated information with prospective marketing partners and advertisers.
- Marketing our products and services (such as email vendors).
In Connection with Business Transfers
In the event that a store, division or part or all of Wawa is bought, sold or otherwise transferred, or is in the process of a potential transaction, customer information will likely be shared for evaluation purposes and included among the transferred business assets.
To Comply with Laws
Wawa may also disclose specific information when such disclosure appears necessary to comply with the law, a subpoena or other litigation process or to protect the interests or safety of its visitors and customers, Wawa employees or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Wawa is fully committed to data security. We use industry-standard security techniques on the Sites to help protect against the loss, misuse or alteration of information collected from you at the Sites. For example, Wawa provides you the capability to input a personalized 4-digit password to access the Wawa application on your mobile device. When you access your account information or transmit personally identifiable data to the Sites, that information is stored on servers that the Sites have attempted to secure from unauthorized access or intrusion. "Secure Socket Layer" software encrypts personal information you transmit to the Sites. However, while we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot ensure the security of the information you transmit to us. In this regard, we urge you to take every precaution to protect your personal data while you are on the Internet. At a minimum, we encourage you to make sure that you are using a secure browser as you surf the Internet.
The Sites use "cookies," which are small pieces of information stored by your browser or other application on your computer's browser or hard drive. The cookies are used to connect your computer with information stored about your online activity, searches, preferences and product purchases both within the same website visit and from one visit to the next on Wawa and/or other websites. (Some examples of this data include your account preferences, user specific information on pages accessed, searched terms or addresses entered, and previous visits to the site.) The "help" portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive new cookies or how to disable cookies altogether. If you reject cookies, you may not be able to participate in certain activities or receive a promotion tailored to you. The Sites do not control and do not guarantee the effectiveness of browser-based tools for managing cookies.
We or our partners may also use Flash cookies (also known as Local Stored Objects) or other similar technologies. A Flash cookie is a small data file placed on a computer using Adobe Flash or similar technology that may be built into your computer or downloaded or installed by you to your computer. We use these technologies to personalize and enhance your online experience, facilitate processes, and personalize and store your settings. Flash cookies may help our website visitors to, for example, set volume preference associated with a video experience, play games and perform surveys. They help us improve our Sites by measuring which areas are of greatest interest to customers. They may be recognized by other sites or by our marketing or business partners. Flash cookies are different from browser cookies and the cookie management tools provided by your browser may not remove Flash cookies. Click here to learn how to manage privacy and storage settings for Flash cookies. If you disable Flash cookies or other similar technologies, please be aware that you may not have access to certain features and services that make your online experience more efficient and enjoyable.
We may also use web beacons, which are electronic images that may be used on our websites or in our emails. We use web beacons to deliver cookies, count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness and to tell if an email has been opened and acted upon.
We may also enter into agreements with third parties that possess technology that allows the Sites to use targeting or advertising cookies to see which areas and features are popular, count visits to our Sites and customize the advertising and marketing messages you receive on the Sites. This information may be shared with these third parties for this purpose. The Sites may use Google Analytics and the third-party cookie DoubleClick to optimize our Sites based on the traffic we receive and assist with marketing. To learn more about Google Analytics, including options for opting out and/or managing the ads you may see online please visit: www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners. Additional information regarding online advertising is available at: https://www.networkadvertising.org/understanding-online-advertising/what-are-my-options.
Updates or Changes to Your Information
You may update or change your personal information by calling us at 1-800-444-9292 and a representative will instruct you on how to update or change your personal information. You can also use the contact form on Wawa.com. To change your shipping or billing information for Wawa.com orders, log on, select "My Account" and make the appropriate changes.
The Sites do not knowingly solicit or collect personally identifiable information online from children under the age of 13 without prior verifiable parental consent. If Wawa learns that a child under the age of 13 has submitted personally identifiable information online without parental consent, it will take all reasonable measures to delete such information from its databases and to not use such information for any purpose (except where necessary to protect the safety of the child or others as required or allowed by law). If you become aware of any personally identifiable information we have collected from children under 13, please call us at 1-800-444-9292 or use the contact form on Wawa.com.
Company Commitment to Privacy
Your California Privacy Rights
Last updated: February 19, 2018